Home Modifications

Home modifications can be minor changes or they can be complex.

Minor home modifications are home modifications that don’t change the structural parts of the home or cost more than $20,000. For example, widening an internal doorway that isn’t holding up other parts of the home is likely to be a category A minor home modification. 

Complex home modifications are changes involving a few areas in your home. For example, you might need to combine your bathroom and toilet to give you more room to use a hoist or shower chair.

You may need home modifications if you:

  • Have safety concerns or difficulty moving around your home
  • Have trouble with personal care, like using your shower
  • Can’t use the rooms you need to use in your home
  • Have difficulty pursuing your goals in your home because of your disability
  • Need changes to your home so your carers can support you safely. 

In some circumstances, the NDIA may fund reasonable and necessary supports that are related or incidental to home modifications. For example, short-term rent if you need to move out of your home during building works.

As with any building work, there are laws and regulations that need to be adhered to when undertaking home modifications under the Scheme.

To access this service, please contact us online or call us on 0404 046 919 to enquire.